18 things to make you more efficient - Cultivate deep work
Some tasks are just hard. There’s no substitute for deep work.
Everybody has a few daily To-Do’s that could be almost be knocked out while sleeping. These are the tasks that you need podcasts to get through—if anything, they’re hard to get yourself to do because they’re not especially interesting.
At the same time, there are some tasks that are just difficult. You can’t multitask your way to finishing them. You need to devote serious time and mental effort to knocking them out of the park.
Here are a few recommendations to cultivate deep work:
- Schedule deep work: Plan deep work into your schedule at a similar time every day, probably in the morning. Having a regular time to do deep work helps you make it a habit
- Get bored: It sounds counterintuitive to call being bored a productive habit, but being comfortable with boredom is important. Deep work isn’t always enjoyable, and boredom or frustration are what cause us to seek out distractions. Avoid using social media for entertainment as much as possible, and get more comfortable doing nothing.
- Be harder to contact: Email and other distractions can be reduced by asking people who contact you to do more work up front. Ask people to research their questions before coming to you, and provide as much info as possible in their emails. Same goes for you—spending time on communications instead of dashing off a quick email can minimize back and forth.
- Know your work habits: Do you work best in isolation? With periodic breaks? Are you working around a hectic schedule? You don’t need to overhaul your entire schedule—just set aside some time for deep work.
Highly productive people have mastered the skill of deep work.
DELIVERING WHAT YOU PROMISE and getting your team to do the sameDo you meet the obligations, promises, goals and commitments made to yourself and to others?
The American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) did a study in 2010 on accountability and found out that the probability of completing a goal is:
- 10% – If you have an idea or a goal actually.
- 25% – If you consciously decide you will do it.
- 40% – If you decide when you will do it.
- 50% – If you plan how you will do it.
- 65% – If you commit to someone, you will do it.
- 95% – If you have a specific accountability appointment with a person you’ve committed to.
After reading this, how likely are you to achieve your; goals, promises, obligations and commitments alone? Book your FREE Unboxing Session with me ‘The Accountability Guy’ and we’ll examine exactly where you’re at, what’s worked and what hasn’t, and we’ll take a look at your priorities to set the path moving forward. Each Unboxing Session includes:
- 60-90min obligation-free Zoom chat about your goals, promises and commitments
- Examine your priorities
- Review your ‘To-Do List’ and we’ll dig-in to how you will implement
- Together, we will create a plan and set timelines
For more information visit: https://tickthoseboxes.com.au or call me directly: +61 418-379 369.
I’m Darren Finkelstein, The Accountability Guy™.
I’m a sought-after, highly experienced Accountability Coach, Business Advisor & Mentor. I work with high-performing entrepreneurial business owners and their teams. Also, I am a conference and event speaker on all matters of accountability and getting stuff done.
My past experience includes working at Apple for 10-years as ‘Manager of Commercial Markets’ during the inspirational Steve Jobs era. Then, building a successful entrepreneurial business for 15-years in the marine and lifestyle industry until we successfully sold and exited. I’m the author of three bestselling and award-winning books and are a part-time summer presenter in Melbourne on radio 3AW.
Accountability is my specialty; it’s a tool that I’ve mastered for my business over many years. It held me in good stead at Apple, and it kept me ahead of the game in our business. The result is that I’m incredibly focussed, well organised and outcome-driven which has led to my business success.
Yet for others, accountability frequently makes people nervous, as it requires us to step up our game, be introspective and hold ourselves to account, which can be very uncomfortable initially until you harness the power and momentum it generates, with the realisation how powerful it is, and how effective you could become.
Did you know that the A-word ‘accountability’, is regularly misspelt and often misunderstood? Businesses don’t really understand the difference between responsibility and accountability? Both are cousins but not the same.
You see, you are responsible for things and accountable to people, hence the confusion.
To me, being accountable simply means ‘doing the things you say you are going to do’, and ‘getting your team to do the same’.
Work with me directly and I’ll keep you accountable and hold you to account for your commitments, promises and goals during my signature private ‘One-On-One’ Sessions (limited spaces available) or perhaps you and your team might like to join my ‘Group Mastermind Forums’, or register for my (D.I.Y) online program ‘Accountability Made Easy’.
Want to know more about working with me? Visit Working With Me.
It’s my desire to hold everyone in the room to account, which makes me an engaging Speaker on the subject of ‘Accountability’ for your next event, conference or workshop; face-to-face or virtual. My goal is not only to motivate your audience but to inspire them to take action for themselves so they too can implement and execute.
I’ve got a full playbook of strategies that I’m privileged to share or maybe we can create a totally bespoke and customised package to suit your individual or team needs. For more information, visit my website.
NEXT STEPS – ‘Free’ Unboxing Session
You’ll get four important outcomes from my one-on-one ‘Unboxing Session’ conducted over Zoom and its ‘free’ without obligation:
- 60-90 min discussion about your business and your goals.
- Examine your priorities, and look at what needs to be done.
- Review your ‘To-Do List’ and discuss implementation & execution.
- Together, we will create a plan and set timelines.
You have so much to gain and nothing to lose! There is NO downside for you whatsoever. If you do nothing, this is exactly the same as sticking your head in the sand. All this is procrastination and hope, which does not improve your situation automatically. In fact, doing nothing – makes it worse.
To find out more: https://tickthoseboxes.com.au/unboxing-sessions/
After reading this, how likely are you to achieve your; goals, promises, obligations and commitments alone? Unlikely I suspect, without external assistance.