18 things to make you more efficient - Intro
We’ve all known that person who always seems to Get Sh!t Done.
Whether a friend or a colleague, this is the person whose work is always done early. The one who somehow manages to finish hour-long tasks in 30 minutes.
The one people describe as a robot or machine, because surely no simple human could work as quickly as they do.
And yet these people exist, cranking away at maximum efficiency. What do these highly productive people have in common? How do they do it?
The habits of highly productive people
It’s tempting to look at highly productive people as machines (or wizards). But by studying how they work efficiently and overcome the challenges we all experience, it’s possible to boost your own productivity as well.
How do the most efficient people overcome challenges like:
- Procrastinating on tasks—both small, nagging ones and large, challenging ones
- Boring work that needs just to get done
- Responding to email and other messages while working
- Staying motivated and energised throughout the entire work day
- Focusing and finishing the most important projects on their plates, juggling all of those balls in the air at one time. And not letting any fall!
Yes, I like to claim the status of “highly productive person”, I’m the person who Gets Sh!t Done.
After talking with my clients to understand how they roll, I’ve read reading articles, checked out books, and have been asking questions of productive people that I’ve pulled together to seek the best advice on their productivity habits, to identify what works and what does not.
What follows are 18 of the most important habits of highly productive people. From ways to spend less time on emails to methods of staying focused, these productivity tips can help you maximize your efficiency—to get more done.
You can increase productivity and become highly efficient with these 18 habits.
- Focus on most important tasks first
- Cultivate deep work
- Keep a distraction list to stay focused
- Set your priorities
- Use the 80/20 rule
- Break tasks into smaller pieces
- Take breaks
- Make fewer decisions
- Eliminate inefficient communication
- Find repeatable shortcuts
- Learn from successes as well as mistakes
- Plan for when things go wrong
- Work before you get motivated or inspired
- Don’t multitask
- Fill the tank—recharge
- Sharpen the axe
- Manage your energy (not just time)
- Get better at saying “no”
DELIVERING WHAT YOU PROMISE and getting your team to do the sameDo you meet the obligations, promises, goals and commitments made to yourself and to others?
The American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) did a study in 2010 on accountability and found out that the probability of completing a goal is:
- 10% – If you have an idea or a goal actually.
- 25% – If you consciously decide you will do it.
- 40% – If you decide when you will do it.
- 50% – If you plan how you will do it.
- 65% – If you commit to someone, you will do it.
- 95% – If you have a specific accountability appointment with a person you’ve committed to.
After reading this, how likely are you to achieve your; goals, promises, obligations and commitments alone? Book your FREE Unboxing Session with me ‘The Accountability Guy’ and we’ll examine exactly where you’re at, what’s worked and what hasn’t, and we’ll take a look at your priorities to set the path moving forward. Each Unboxing Session includes:
- 60-90min obligation-free Zoom chat about your goals, promises and commitments
- Examine your priorities
- Review your ‘To-Do List’ and we’ll dig-in to how you will implement
- Together, we will create a plan and set timelines
For more information visit: https://tickthoseboxes.com.au or call me directly: +61 418-379 369.
I’m Darren Finkelstein, The Accountability Guy™.
I’m a sought-after, highly experienced Accountability Coach, Business Advisor & Mentor. I work with high-performing entrepreneurial business owners and their teams. Also, I am a conference and event speaker on all matters of accountability and getting stuff done.
My past experience includes working at Apple for 10-years as ‘Manager of Commercial Markets’ during the inspirational Steve Jobs era. Then, building a successful entrepreneurial business for 15-years in the marine and lifestyle industry until we successfully sold and exited. I’m the author of three bestselling and award-winning books and are a part-time summer presenter in Melbourne on radio 3AW.
Accountability is my specialty; it’s a tool that I’ve mastered for my business over many years. It held me in good stead at Apple, and it kept me ahead of the game in our business. The result is that I’m incredibly focussed, well organised and outcome-driven which has led to my business success.
Yet for others, accountability frequently makes people nervous, as it requires us to step up our game, be introspective and hold ourselves to account, which can be very uncomfortable initially until you harness the power and momentum it generates, with the realisation how powerful it is, and how effective you could become.
Did you know that the A-word ‘accountability’, is regularly misspelt and often misunderstood? Businesses don’t really understand the difference between responsibility and accountability? Both are cousins but not the same.
You see, you are responsible for things and accountable to people, hence the confusion.
To me, being accountable simply means ‘doing the things you say you are going to do’, and ‘getting your team to do the same’.
Work with me directly and I’ll keep you accountable and hold you to account for your commitments, promises and goals during my signature private ‘One-On-One’ Sessions (limited spaces available) or perhaps you and your team might like to join my ‘Group Mastermind Forums’, or register for my (D.I.Y) online program ‘Accountability Made Easy’.
Want to know more about working with me? Visit Working With Me.
It’s my desire to hold everyone in the room to account, which makes me an engaging Speaker on the subject of ‘Accountability’ for your next event, conference or workshop; face-to-face or virtual. My goal is not only to motivate your audience but to inspire them to take action for themselves so they too can implement and execute.
I’ve got a full playbook of strategies that I’m privileged to share or maybe we can create a totally bespoke and customised package to suit your individual or team needs. For more information, visit my website.
NEXT STEPS – ‘Free’ Unboxing Session
You’ll get four important outcomes from my one-on-one ‘Unboxing Session’ conducted over Zoom and its ‘free’ without obligation:
- 60-90 min discussion about your business and your goals.
- Examine your priorities, and look at what needs to be done.
- Review your ‘To-Do List’ and discuss implementation & execution.
- Together, we will create a plan and set timelines.
You have so much to gain and nothing to lose! There is NO downside for you whatsoever. If you do nothing, this is exactly the same as sticking your head in the sand. All this is procrastination and hope, which does not improve your situation automatically. In fact, doing nothing – makes it worse.
To find out more: https://tickthoseboxes.com.au/unboxing-sessions/
After reading this, how likely are you to achieve your; goals, promises, obligations and commitments alone? Unlikely I suspect, without external assistance.